Quantcast Pantex Plant

 

Click here to make tpub.com your Home Page

Page Title: Pantex Plant
Back | Up | Next

Click here for thousands of PDF manuals

Google


Web
www.tpub.com

Home

   
Information Categories
.... Administration
Advancement
Aerographer
Automotive
Aviation
Construction
Diving
Draftsman
Engineering
Electronics
Food and Cooking
Logistics
Math
Medical
Music
Nuclear Fundamentals
Photography
Religion
   
   

 

Share on Google+Share on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Stumble Upon
Back
Los Almos National Laboratory
Up
DOE Standard Guide of Good Practices for Occupational Radiological Protection In Plutonium Facilities
Next
Sandia National Laboratories - doe-std-1128-98_ch10291


DOE-STD-1128-98
B.10 PANTEX PLANT
The Pantex Plant is responsible for fabricating chemical high explosive components for
nuclear weapons; disassembling nuclear weapons that have been retired from the stockpile;
assembling nuclear weapons for the nation's stockpile; and maintaining and evaluating
nuclear weapons in the stockpile. Currently, the major effort at the site is disassembly of
weapons, with approximately1500 being disassembled per year. Some weapons assembly is
continuing, but on a relatively small scale. Large quantities of plutonium pits are normally
in interim storage at the site.
B.11 ROCKY FLATS ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY SITE
The mission of the Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site (originally the Rocky Flats
Plant) has changed from production of nuclear weapons components to radioactive material
storage, environmental restoration, and waste management.
Plutonium activities at the site were limited to chemical and mechanical processing of
plutonium and did not include plutonium production. Processing, recovering, machining,
and fabricating involved primarily four buildings: 991, 707, 771, and 776/777. Two
buildings, 559 and 779, were used for laboratory analysis and research. Building 371 was
built as a replacement for 771 but has not been reliably utilized in that capacity. It does
have analytical laboratory capability and a large storage area for plutonium.
-- Building 991 is the oldest building involved in plutonium activities. However, it has
recently been used only for storage and shipping/receiving of complete plutonium
components (pits) to and from Pantex.
-- Building 707 was used for the fabrication and assembly of nuclear weapons
components. This involved melting, blending, casting, machining, fabricating, and
assembling plutonium components. Building 776 had been used for these operations
until 1969.
-- Building 771 was used for chemical recovery and processing of plutonium to produce
usable product material.
-- Building 776/777 was used for disassembly of returned components from the field.
This building also performed electrorefining for the separation of americium from
plutonium.
-- Building 559 was used as an analytical laboratory to support weapons component
production, i.e., quality control, quality assurance, and other laboratory activities.
-- Building 779, also a laboratory facility, provided chemical and metallurgical research
and development.
The plutonium facilities at Rocky Flats have had several major contamination incidents
involving plutonium fires. Since plutonium pits were the primary plutonium product
shipped from the site, all other plutonium metal was considered in process and not
packaged for long-term storage. Relatively large quantities of plutonium metal and oxides
are located in process lines and in storage locations.
B-3


Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us

Integrated Publishing, Inc.