contract work, associated hazards and an appropriate set of Work Smart Standards until robust agreement is reached on
adequacy and feasibility of the resulting standards-based approach.
7. Consistent with ISM Guiding Principles, hazards associated with the contract Statement of Work comprise a broad category that
includes direct sources of potential harm as well as the institutional factors that cause latent conditions in the workplace (e.g.
poor general housekeeping) or within the organizational infrastructures (e.g. excessive reliance on overtime in hazardous work
assignments) that are known precursors to acute, unwanted safety consequences.
8. The Safety Management System hierarchy of implementing components, DOE P450.4, Figure 1, is reflected in the N&S Closure
Manual: Chapters and Process Elements define ISM mechanisms, the protocols called for define the ISM roles, responsibilities
and implementing practices needed to ensure adequacy and feasibility of the Work Smart Standards.
9. At Confirmation, demonstrating feasibility of the Work Smart Standards means that solid evidence is provided that transformation
of the pre-existing infrastructure for doing work has been considered by process management and found to be achievable.
Performance Basis for Process Evaluation:
The following outcomes apply to the work of N&S Closure Process participants needed to ensure requirements for adequacy,
feasibility and process fidelity are satisfied. In the instructions to a Confirmation Team, attention should be directed toward the
evidence that these outcomes have been achieved. Specifically, evidence in the process record should support the conclusions of
the Process Leadership and the Convened Group:
1. Intended that the Work Smart Standards being developed provide a tailored description of the work, hazards and standards to be
used under the contract in the development of acceptable work activity controls (adequate protection).
2. Aligned the Work Smart Standards for implementation in available institutional mechanisms for the planning and performance of
3. Ensured the Work Smart Standards can be accepted as authoritative for purposes of contract performance (fidelity: adequacy
and feasibility have been appropriately established).