The following definitions apply to the planning activities described in this document and to all Orders in the DOE
5500 series. This list of definitions is reproduced from DOE 5500.1B, Attachment 2.
1. Accident: A deviation from normal operations or activities associated with a hazard which has the potential
to result in an emergency.
2. Accident Response Group (ARG): A group of technical and scientific experts composed of DOE and DOE
contractor personnel assigned responsibility for providing DOE assistance to peacetime accidents and
significant incidents involving nuclear weapons anywhere in the world.
3. Activity: A DOE supervised action within the DOE mandate.
4. Aerial Measuring System (AMS): An aerial detection system with the capability of measuring extremely
low levels of gamma radiation and locating and tracking airborne radiation. The system also has aerial
photography and multispectral sensing capabilities.
5. Agency: Any organization that acts in the place of a government and by its authority (e.g., the Federal
Emergency Management Agency is an agency of the Federal Government).
6. Alert: An emergency class within the Operational and Energy categories of emergency. Within the
Operational Emergency category, an Alert represents events in progress or having occurred which involve
an actual or potential substantial reduction for the level of facility safety and protection. Any environmental
release of hazardous materials are expected to be limited to small fractions of the appropriate Protective
Action Guideline (PAG) or Emergency Response Planning Guideline (ERPG) onsite. During an Energy
Emergency, an Alert represents an event which has occurred or is in progress that is noteworthy; the potential
impacts are not expected to be serious; and a negligible long-term supply impact is anticipated.
7. Appraise: The formal process by which external or oversight organizations evaluate the ability of an
organization or facility to comply with DOE and other applicable regulations, orders, plans, and procedures.
8. Assess: The internal process by which an organization evaluates its ability to comply with DOE and other
applicable regulations, orders, plans, and procedures, conducted within a single, cognizant Program Office.
Category of Emergency: One of the three types of emergencies: Operational, Energy, and Continuity of
Government (COG). The purpose of these groupings is to further divide emergencies by the cause of the