(1) A full participation exercise should be conducted
annually for at least one facility on each DOE site to
test and demonstrate an integrated emergency response
capability. For multiple-facility sites, the basis of the
exercise scenario should be rotated among those
facilities with EPZs extending offsite.
(2) Full participation exercises for the Department's
radiological emergency response assets (e.g., ARG,
NEST, FRMAC, AMS, ARAC, and REAC/TS) should
be conducted periodically, at a minimum, once every
three years. [NOTE: not applicable to facility or site
(3) A control group should be established for each exercise
to ensure that events occur that address the objectives
of the exercise.
(4) An evaluation group should be established for each
exercise to assess the performance of the exercise
participants against the objectives.
(5) A critique process should be conducted for each
exercise to provide initial impressions of
accomplishments and shortcomings discovered during
b. The plan should provide for tracking and resolving
preparedness issues (areas for correction or improvement
in emergency management) identified during drills and
exercises, plan reviews, or analysis of actual response