Planning Standard: Notification and communication of emergency information should be consistent with
the requirements of DOE 5000.3B and 5500.2B. Provisions should be in place for prompt initial
notification of emergency response personnel and response organizations, including appropriate DOE
elements and other Federal, state, tribal, and local organizations, and for continuing effective
communication among the response organizations throughout an emergency. [5500.3A 11.c.(4)]
Types of Notification. The facility plan should
provide for the following types of notification:
(1) Notification to activate the onsite emergency
response organization and facilities.
(2) Notification and protective actions for facility
personnel who may be affected by the emergency.
(3) Notification and protective actions for other
onsite personnel who may be affected by the
(4) Notification and protective action recom-
mendations to offsite authorities responsible for
notifying and protecting the public.
(5) Notification of offsite agencies contributing
emergency response or assistance.
(6) Notification of the cognizant DOE field element
and DOE Headquarters EOC.
(7) For emergencies involving actual or potential
release of radioactive materials, notifications per
the Federal Radiological Emergency Response