(8) Protocols for verification of messages should be
(9) Notification protocols should provide for hard
copy follow-up of verbal notifications.
(10) The notification procedure should result in a log
or record showing transmission and receipt of all
notifications, together with copies of the
notification message texts.
(11) The notification system should be designed to
differentiate between critical notifications
associated with operational emergencies and
(12) Notification protocols should be an established
part of annual training for the affected
Notification Timing. The facility plan should provide
for meeting the following notification time limits:
Verbal notification of the DOE field element,
DOE HQ Emergency Operations Center, and
appropriate regional federal, state, tribal, and
local authorities should be made within 15
minutes whenever either of the following
(a) An event is categorized as an emergency.
(b) Conditions change significantly, such as a
change in emergency classification or
Periodic follow-up notifications and updates
should be provided throughout an emergency,
approximately every 30 to 60 minutes
depending on conditions.