is gone for two weeks or longer, the Field Element Manager should name a temporary
replacement and establish an appropriate coverage schedule.
The Facility Representative is present at least one day per week. One person can cover several
The Facility Representative visits the facility 12-24 days a year.
The Facility Representative visits the facility 6-12 days a year.
The Recommended Base Coverage Levels correspond to the following Recommended FTE Levels:
Recommended Base Coverage
Initial FTE Coverage Level (column l). Determine the appropriate initial FTE coverage level from the recommended
FTE Level and place in column 1.
Adjusted FTE Coverage Level (column m). Multiply the FTE Coverage Level (column l) by an Adjustment Factor in
the table below, and put the result in column m. This ensures that facilities with the highest hazards, operational
activity, complexity, and of greatest programmatic importance receive higher coverage. The Adjustment Factors are:
Coverage Priority Ranking Value
Recommended FTE Coverage Level (column n). Following establishment of the Adjusted FTE Coverage Level
(column m) for each facility, the Field Element Manager (FEM) may further adjust the level of coverage. This
adjustment should take into consideration factors such as those listed below and be based on the FEM's judgment
of the contractor's operational performance and the priority of coverage identified in column h:
· Facility operations involving multiple shifts
· History of contractor performance for similar activities
· Potential for DOE or public interest
· The risks to successful mission accomplishment
· Financial risks
· Complexity of the facility and facility operations
· Hazardous work environments for workers
· Age, maintenance condition, and level of uncertainty of the facility
· Anticipated changes in operational status of facility
· Number of significant accidents/incidents on site
· Amount of other DOE technical facility oversight
· Facility configuration changes (like test facilities, for example)
The next step is to adjust the Recommended FTE Coverage Level to account for additional duties assigned to
Facility Representatives, as well as other competing activities. This can be done by using Table 5 or Table 6. Table
5 is used if sites can accurately estimate ot her activities for the group of Facilities Representatives at the site. Table
6 is used if Facility Representatives have different collateral duties from each other which would make using Table 5
impractical. Both Table 5 and Table 6 represent workload analyses to ensure that the Facility Representative
coverage assigned is achievable given the other duties assigned to the Facility Representatives.