Do not chap skin by cold water or harsh chemicals.
Avoid hot water because it will open pores.
3. If skin contamination remains, a common procedure is
to wear surgeon's gloves overnight to induce sweat that
will lift contamination from the skin. The decision to
wear gloves to induce sweat must be made by the
responsible Health Physicist. This practice requires
detailed documentation and procedural guidance.
D. Material Decontamination
Material decontamination is the removal of radioactive
materials from tools, equipment, floors, and other surfaces
in the work area.
1. Establish controls to prevent spread of contamination.
2. A high priority is to prevent airborne radioactivity.
3. Decontaminate from areas of low to high
contamination (exception is when potential for
airborne is high).
EO12: IDENTIFY the normal
4. Decontaminate from top to bottom so that
methods used for
contamination will not run down on the clean surface.
5. Only make one pass, then discard or turn wipe to a
clean surface (don't recontaminate area).
6. The Radiological Control Organization will make the
final determination if the material has been adequately
Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us