oxidizing atmosphere to a Material Temperature of at least 950C (1742F) for a
time sufficient to meet the Stabilization Criteria in 184.108.40.206, but not less than 2 hours.
2. Stabilization Verification: Assurance that materials to be packaged meet Criterion
220.127.116.11 shall be accomplished using one of the following:
1) Stabilization Testing: Materials that have been stabilized shall have their moisture
content measured by using a demonstrated technically appropriate method, such
as LOI. Approval for methods other than LOI shall be obtained using the process
described in the Foreword, Item 5.
2) Process Qualification: Materials that have been stabilized and packaged using a
"qualified process" shall be subject to reduced testing requirements. A qualified
process is one that has been demonstrated, to the satisfaction of an independent
review group as indicated in the Foreword, Item 5, to consistently produce in a
production environment materials for packaging which meet the requirements of
Criterion 18.104.22.168. Once the process has been qualified, material testing, as
described in 22.214.171.124.1, is required only to the extent necessary to show continued
3. Stabilization Acceptance Criterion: The moisture content (weight loss, if using the
LOI method) of Oxide to be packaged in any type of sealed container shall be less
than 0.5 wt% at the time of packaging.
6.1.3 Engineered Materials
1. Unirradiated Fabricated Fuel, consisting of sintered plutonium-uranium oxide pellets
clad with zircalloy or stainless steel having adequate quality and surveillance history
to assure its integrity is considered to meet all the requirements of Section 6.1.2
without additional stabilization or testing. Fuel pellets extracted from such fuel are
also considered to meet all the requirements of Section 6.1.2 at the time they are
declad. Clad metal fuel with a similar assurance of cladding integrity is considered to
meet all the requirements of Section 6.1.1.
2. Unclad sintered plutonium-uranium oxide fuel pellets that satisfy Criterion 126.96.36.199,
are considered to meet the requirements of Section 6.1.2 without additional
stabilization. Sintered plutonium-uranium oxide pellets that cannot meet the
Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us